Re: water pump 77MGB

To: Larry list account <list@marketvalue.net>
Subject: Re: water pump 77MGB
From: Paul Root <ptroot@iaces.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 10:21:58 -0500
Back in about '91 or '92. I took a little vacation with my wife to
SD, visiting friends (their son's 1st birthday).

Well, we had a free day, actually, I think it was the Saturday morning
before the party and we took his '71 to Coronado. See Hotel Del, you
know the usual tourist things.

Anyway, of course, there is a traffic jam getting off the island, and
the B starts overheating some. And some squealing started. There was
none on the way. Or during all of Friday when we drove all over.

Managed to get over the bridge and was heading back up I-5. The water
pump gave out just after the Sports Arena Blvd exit. 2 miles to the Sea
World exit (the exit to get to the house I lived in back in the 80s).

The car had cooled down with the drive from downtown north. And I
managed to get it off the highway and to the little gas station.

Of course, they weren't going to touch it. But were so nice as to only
charge $10 or something to park there overnight!

Across the street was the autoparts store. We ordered a pump on
Saturday, they got it on Sunday. I remember I got a water pump and
radiator (guess which went first) for my 510 there, 3-4 years before.
They had everything, a great parts store. Can't remember the name.

Sunday, we towed it home, and put the new pump in and was back running
in 1 hour.

Tom had rebuilt the engine in '86-87 I believe when we were roommates.

The car is in storage now. He's ready to pull it out, as soon as the
house renovations are done ...

San Diego without a convertible... The horror.

Paul.

--
    ______      Paul T. Root
   /    _ \     1977 MGB