Re: water pump 77MGB

To: Tom McLaughlin <tmcl98@yahoo.com>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: water pump 77MGB
From: Rocky Frisco <rock@rocky-frisco.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 11:43:12 -0500
Tom McLaughlin wrote:

> I dunno, he has been good to me over the past few
> years when I needed help.  He in fact suggested that I
> do this job myself.  I was the one that asked how much
> he would charge if I had him do it.
>
> I started the car last night and there is some racket
> coming from that area that I guess could be classified
> as squealing.  I haven't checked for side to side
> play, but there is some front to back play.

I would suggest taking the tension off the belt by loosening the alto
tension nut, then check the waterpump shaft for play or sticky rotation.
The "front to back" movement is not a good thing. Doing the above is
nearly half the job done, the rest of it is just unbolting and removing
the pump and cleaning the gasket area, then reassembling with a new
gasket and some good aircraft grade sealer, then retensioning the belt
and tightening the alto tension bracket nut.

-Rock    http://www.rocky-frisco.com
--
JJ Cale Live CD and video: http://www.rocky-frisco.com/calelive.htm
The Wednesday Night Science Project: http://www.wednitesciproj.us