Re Midget I.D.

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re Midget I.D.
From: "Rich C" <richchrysler@quickclic.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 21:57:18 -0400
I hope someone can help us.
My sister has a 1967 MG Midget Mk 3 that has been dismantled for 13 years.
In the meantime the body shell has undergone extensive repairs and in the
process both body i.d. tags (the ones on the door hinge posts) have been
lost. The 1275 engine number tag is also long gone.
To make matters more complicated the original serial number tag (and the
ownership certificate) states the car/chassis number as being GAN4L6261.
All the books we have state the GHN4 series numbers as beginning with a 5
digit number beginning with 5****.
We strongly suspect that maybe the factory missed stamping a digit on the
plate. In other words maybe the number should read GHN4L6261*.
The only original number I can find in all this is the gearbox number with a
stamp of "G375 type" and 445915.
Will Heritage do a search through the ten possible numbers to determine this
one? It was originally a dark BRG (GN29)  with black trim and wire wheels.
Is this enough? Opinions?
Rich Chrysler