Re: oil pressure

To: "Richard" <ramsmgb@cox.net>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: oil pressure
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 12:27:26 -0600
The relief valve and spring are cheap and is not a difficult job to replace
(well, except for pushing the cap back in against the spring pressure and
getting it screwed back in). So that would be the first thing to try. When
I bought my first MG, a 65B, when I was in college, it had a top oil
pressure reading of 40 psi and idled at 10. I was told to try a new relieve
valve and spring by my friends, the same ones who got me to buy the MG to
begin with (one of them ended up selling his Triumph GT6 and also buying a
B not long after that).

In my case, I wasn't so lucky - the new spring made no difference and I
would learn how to do an engine overhaul about a year later, mostly for
piece of mind since I was planning on a long road trip. But its still worth
a try and even if it does no good, you will probably still be able to
continue to drive for many months without any problems.

David Councill
67 BGT
72 B