Re: Fuel injection

To: Paul Root <ptroot@iaces.com>, Larry Colen <lrcar@red4est.com>
Subject: Re: Fuel injection
From: "Paul M." <rowman22001@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 09:50:20 -0700 (PDT)
--- Paul Root <ptroot@iaces.com> wrote:
> Last night I was trying to read the article on Fuel
> injectors in GRM, but I found I just didn't care.

Me either.  I grew up driving carburetted cars - MGBs,
early Porsche 911's, Triumphs, etc.  Then I went
modern and owned a bunch of affordable european
fuel-injected cars, like a Porsche 911SC, 944 Turbo,
BMW 633CSi, etc.  When I finally went back and drove a
carburetted car again, I instantly noticed how
wonderfully responsive and linear the throttle is.

Fuel injection is great (and very modern cars, with
their incredible digital systems that can adjust
engine management in real time) are really good, but I
still love the throttle feel of a car with carbs.
Push the pedal in a little bit, and a little bit
happens.  Push the pedal in more, and more happens.
Somewhere along the line, that was lost with fuel
injection.  It's finally starting to come back now (I
just drove a buddy's BMW M3 and it feels wonderful),
but it's taken a long, long time.

The only "vintage" exceptions to this I have found are
some of the mechanically-injected cars like the Alfa
Romeo SPICA system and some of the
Kugelfischer-injected Porsches.

But for my money, I still love me some carburettors!

=====
Paul Misencik - 1971 MGB - www.sopwithracing.com

THE CAROLINA TROPHY - 2005
A vintage driving event in the spirit