Re: Towing

To: Dan DiBiase <d_dibiase@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Towing
From: Paul Root <ptroot@iaces.com>
Date: Wed, 05 May 2004 12:52:01 -0500
My TR7's transmission broke on I-5 in Anaheim back when I lived in San
Diego. This would have been back in '87 or so.

I got it off with only a few harsh words and horns. And no gun shots :-)

At the time, I could limp it (5mph) maybe around. Started at a 7-11 or
something. Found a foreign repair place a half block away. They were
closed. Sunday afternoon - going to the Big-A for an Angels-Royals game.

I called them on Monday, of course, foreign to them meant VW and Porsche.

My boss had a pickup and a generic tow bar. So I went and got it. And
flat towed it home. I didn't know about the drive shaft thing then.

Then I couldn't even limp it.

Opening up the case, there wasn't much left. My parts supplier in the
Sports Arena area (Ian) got me a used transmission for a big price. :-)
And told me about towing those transmissions.

Ok, the 4-speed is different from the triumph's 5-speed. But he showed
me the little oil pump with the tiny channel that it shoots oil to the
gears. It's smaller than a Bic pen hole. And showed me that that pump
can't do it's thing when turned at the wrong end.

He told me to use ATF in that 5-speed. I did, and it worked fine.

Like I said, the 4-speed is different from the 5-speed, but why take
chances? It takes little time to pull the drive shaft.

Paul.