RE: steering rack alignment (now shock and camber shimming)

To: "Paul M." <rowman22001@yahoo.com>,
Subject: RE: steering rack alignment (now shock and camber shimming)
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@MGAguru.com>
Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 21:51:50 -0500
At 01:10 PM 5/26/04 -0700, Paul M. wrote:
>In addition to the resulting negative camber, I'd be curious to hear what
>people think of the value of these arms as a modification.  When you lower
>the car with the springs, it goes negative anyway.  How much negative
>camber is too much?

When the handling starts to degrade instead of improving, or your tires
wear out in a few thousand miles, it's too much.  For the normal daily
driver street machine, anything other than original factory spec of zero
camber will result in increased tire wear.  The only reason for going to
negative camber is for competion, and then you have to accept the trade
offs for street use.

I can tell you that the front tires do not like 1 degree negative camber
when driven long distances on the street.  They would have bad wear pattern
on the inside half of the tread width, maybe shortening useable tire life
by about half.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
http://MGAguru.com