MG motivation - engine and transmission opinions.

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: MG motivation - engine and transmission opinions.
From: RTN <rtneyhart@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 29 May 2004 05:03:25 -0400
Hello,

        I'm soon to be the owner of a 1975 (8/1975) MGB and I'm looking for
opinions concerning drive line options.  First, is there a searchable
database for topics here?  I'm sure this topic has been addressed
before.  If not, here goes...

        From what I've learned so far, there's the stock four, four with alloy
cross flow head, conversions using the GM 60-degree V6, and conversions
using the Rover 90-degree aluminum V8.  For transmissions, I have
learned that there is a four-speed, four speed with overdrive, and
various five-speed conversions.  That said, I am looking for what
you've got powering your B/BGT and the pros and cons to each
combination.  I do have a specific question concerning conversions.  If
the factory used a 90-degree V8, why aren't there more 90-degree V6
conversions also?  It seems that other than being shorter, there would
be similar work involved in modifying the engine bay for fitting.  (I
do realize that the 60-degree V6 fits without as much (or no?) major
modifications.  Thanks.

Russ