Re: SU pix (was Re: Have I Been Booted?)

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: SU pix (was Re: Have I Been Booted?)
From: Eric <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Sun, 06 Jun 2004 11:47:51 +1030
David Councill wrote:

> If you meant HS4 carbs, I made several pages of carb pictures due to
> requests on the list the last couple of years:
>
> http://www.imt.net/~dcouncil/mg/su_linkage.html
> http://www.imt.net/~dcouncil/mg/su_setup.html
> http://www.imt.net/~dcouncil/mg/su_jets.html

OK, now that it is the weekend again and I can get back into this project...

These pictures (thans David) were really helpful but also illustrated my
confusion.

1. The "return springs" on the choke linkage.  I was staring at the two
mounting points where David has the springs thinking that something
needs to go there... but I have no parts left over.  Then I saw David's
pictures and I was even MORE concerned.  Since that time I have
diuscussed these with others and looked at a few other setups and I find
some have the springs and some don't.  Mine obviously didn't and worked
well like that for years.  Do these make it hard to leave the choke out
or do they just make it easier to return the choke to the "off"
position?  Seeing as I didn't have them before then I guess I will go
that way again (especially as I don't have any springs handy to do the job.

2. I now see that there are two ways to connect the choke cable.  "Over
the top" where it seems (and I assume correctly or otherwise) the cable
pulls up on the linkage (and this may be where the springs come in
handy) or "underneath" where the cable is "captive" and I can just
describe it as being the cable casing that "lifts" the choke linkage.
When you look at it, the "up from underneath" method almost defies logic
and this is what got me worried, but my choke cable has always come up
from underneath and has always worked fine.

I have n=w seen cars with it set up either way.

No wonder I was a little confused.

So my setup will be... no springs and choke cable up from underneath.

Now, back out to the garage.

--
Eric
'68MGB MkII