Re: Getting back on track (was Alternatives to de-smogging)

To: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>, MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Getting back on track (was Alternatives to de-smogging)
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2004 20:56:17 -0600
Maybe you have better gas there :)

My experience with MGs (mostly BGTs) tells me that I should be getting in
the low 20s mpg for what could be described as a light duty city driving
(typically 5-7 mile trips). The typical stop and go but not a lot
of  excessive idling. I wouldn't expect 25 US mpg though - my very high
mileage 71BGT averaged right around 24-27 mpg combined city/highway
(although it varied by season) but that was also with 100 mile daily trips.

I do know its not a slow oozing leak because its garaged and there is never
a smell of petrol. Both my 67BGT and my former TR7 did have leaks that were
detected because they were garaged. But I have eliminated most of the other
possibilities. The engine does have less than a 1000 miles on it still.
Could that be a factor?

Another possible factor seldom discussed is the gas... My 67BGT is only
running a little better now that I think about it, maybe 20 mpg. I notice
the 72B because the fuel gauge appears out of adjustment - when full it
barely reaches 3/4 of a tank. When it approaches empty, the tank still has
4 gallons in it (8 gallons to fill). So the gauge always appears to move
too fast.

But back to my fuel theory. I do know that petrol should vary in terms of
its heat (BTU) content. Also, additives, particular oxygenates are a much
lower BTU fuel so logically it would burn faster to get the same energy
out. So I've always been suspicious of fuel quality when gas mileage is
down. That would then afflict both my Bs similarly. But along the same
theory, one would think your Bay area fuel would be lower quality due to
EPA requirements for additives.

I'm still tinkering with my B since its early in its new life. So I haven't
been concerned yet with its high fuel consumption. But I will be in the
next week or two after I have exhausted all the possibilities with the car
itself. I may even try my spare set of HIF carbs if I get time.

David Councill
67 BGT
72 B