Re: whistling brakes

To: <saidel@camden.rutgers.edu>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: whistling brakes
From: "Lawrie Alexander" <Lawrie@britcars.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 18:52:37 -0700
Hi, Bill,

If the whistle really is coming from the brake booster, the greater problem
(beyond the slight loss of brake boost - not a danger unless you have really
weak legs!) is that your mixture is being weakened quite markedly. There's a
rubber seal around the pushrod that projects from the rear of the master
cylinder into the booster. If this seal has cracked or perished, then the
booster is not working as effectively as possible and the hose to the
manifold is, in effect, leaking and weakening the mixture. You'll need to
unbolt the m/cyl from the booster and check the seal (or the pipe and
one-way valve in the booster) and fix any leaks you find. Sadly, if it is
the rubber boot on the back of the m/cyl that's gone bad, replacements are
not available from any source I know of. They do come on the new master
cylinders, though.......!

Lawrie
British Sportscar Center