whistling brakes

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: whistling brakes
From: saidel@camden.rutgers.edu
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 18:55:20 -0400
Hi Listers,
    My brakes have started to whistle at me.  And I am no prettier than I was a
year ago...probably less so.
>From under the hood, the whistle seems to be coming from the brake booster ('76
MGB) or near it. When I turn the key, it is loud and nearly continuous. After
warming up, it whistles only when I exert pressure on the brake pedal, whether
or not I am moving.  It is not a squicky squeel.

Two questions:  if this indicates a vacuum leak in the brake booster, will that
affect my braking other than to make it harder?

How do I repair this problem?  If it is the brake booster, where do I find info
to repair it?  Otherwise, any clues as to how to diagnose?

Many thanks,

Bill
'76B
BMCSNJ