Crank Shaft Pulley, Clutch plumbing, Engine Paint

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Crank Shaft Pulley, Clutch plumbing, Engine Paint
From: "Jason Spaeth" <jasonspaeth@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 09:09:06 -0500
Hi List:  I am currently in the midst of a full restoration to my chrome
bumper 74.  As I am sealing up my freshly painted engine, I have a few
questions:

Pulley
I noticed on the inside of my crankshaft pulley there is a badly
deteriorated rubber ring.  The rubber ring is not on the pulley hub, it is
on the back side of the pulley - about midway between the hub and the outer
edge - it almost appears that it is glued on.  Any idea on the purpose and
how I might renew it?

Clutch fluid
I intend to switch my braking system over to silicone.  My decision is based
primarily on the inability of the fluid to damage my new paint job.  Now,
can I use this same fluid in the clutch system?  I think I can, but every
reference to DOT5 I have read deals with the braking system.

Paint
Also, I used black engine paint (from Moss).  After reading the can and
asking folks at my local auto parts store, I decided against using a primer
on the block.  Well, last night I was browsing the Moss catalog and I
noticed it recommended using a primer for its line of paints (but I am not
sure if it applied to the engine block paint).  What is the general practice
out there?  Should I sand it down again and redo, this time with a primer?

Thanks guys & gals

Jason Spaeth
North Branch, Mn

MSN Toolbar provides one-click access to Hotmail from any Web page  FREE