Re: Crank Shaft Pulley, Clutch plumbing, Engine Paint

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Crank Shaft Pulley, Clutch plumbing, Engine Paint
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 09:17:58 -0700
on 6/22/04 7:09 AM, Jason Spaeth at jasonspaeth@hotmail.com wrote:

> Hi List:  I am currently in the midst of a full restoration to my chrome
> bumper 74.  As I am sealing up my freshly painted engine, I have a few
> questions:
>
> Pulley
> I noticed on the inside of my crankshaft pulley there is a badly
> deteriorated rubber ring.  The rubber ring is not on the pulley hub, it is
> on the back side of the pulley - about midway between the hub and the outer
> edge - it almost appears that it is glued on.  Any idea on the purpose and
> how I might renew it?

Are you talking about the harmonic balancer? The rubber is an integral part.
If it is in bad shape you should consider replacing it.

> Clutch fluid
> I intend to switch my braking system over to silicone.  My decision is based
> primarily on the inability of the fluid to damage my new paint job.  Now,
> can I use this same fluid in the clutch system?  I think I can, but every
> reference to DOT5 I have read deals with the braking system.

I see no reason why you couldn't use it in the clutch system (in fact I
would strongly recommend using the same fluid on both systems to avoid
inadvertent contamination). Be aware you should completely replace it
periodically to remove water (that condenses from atmosphere).

> Paint
> Also, I used black engine paint (from Moss).  After reading the can and
> asking folks at my local auto parts store, I decided against using a primer
> on the block.  Well, last night I was browsing the Moss catalog and I
> noticed it recommended using a primer for its line of paints (but I am not
> sure if it applied to the engine block paint).  What is the general practice
> out there?  Should I sand it down again and redo, this time with a primer?

It is usual practice not to use primer on engine blocks. If it seems to have
good coverage and adhesion, leave it be.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149