Re: Rear Drums

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Rear Drums
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 17:58:08 -0700
on 6/22/04 4:55 PM, Zach Dorsch at herr_dorsch@yahoo.com wrote:

> Hello List,
>
> I was finally able to drive my '73 B this weekend for the first time in about
> a year; electrical problems, etc.  I had almost forgot how much fun these cars
> are to drive (daily driver is a boring civic).
>
> Anyway, I was reminded of some of the problems that need to be addressed.  I
> am guessing that the rear drums are warped and need to be replaced.  Is it
> general consensus that one should replace the shoes when replacing the drums?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Zach

What makes you think that? Warping the rear drums is pretty unusual. In
fact, I have never heard of it happening. Those are pretty hefty chunks of
iron.

If you are replacing the drums for whatever reason, definitely replace the
shoes (well, I suppose if they only had 1K miles on them...). Why throw
money away? Shoes are much cheaper than drums.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149