Re: Rear Drums

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>, <herr_dorsch@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Rear Drums
From: "Don Vierling" <Don.Vierling@stago-us.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 10:11:50 -0400
Zach,
It's been years since I worked on drum brakes, but I usually replace
the brake pads if they seem questionable in any way.  They are
relatively cheap ($25 for all 4).  If there is plenty of shoe material,
but they are just glazed, you can try sanding the glaze off and reusing
them, but there is always the possibility of altering the shape enough
to render them less effective.  Replacement is probably a more prudent
course.

Regarding the drums:  If they are out of round you should be able to
get them turned at a local shop.  If you do have to replace the drums
($90 for a pair), I suggest you replace the shoes at the same time, just
to be sure you eliminate them as a cause of your problem.  Cheap
insurance I think.

Good luck!
donny v
78 MGB

>>> Zach Dorsch herr_dorsch@yahoo.com> 6/22/2004 7:55:51 PM >>

Anyway, I was reminded of some of the problems that need to be
addressed.  I am guessing that the rear drums are warped and need to be
replaced.  Is it general consensus that one should replace the shoes
when replacing the drums?

Thanks,
Zach