Re: Rubber to Chrome

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>, <aaronw@wsu.edu>
Subject: Re: Rubber to Chrome
From: "Don Vierling" <Don.Vierling@stago-us.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 09:15:12 -0400
Aaron,
First, let me say that I do not think you are insane.  I've been
considering converting to chrome bumpers since I got my '78 MGB four
years ago.

There is a UK web-site with good descriptions and pictures of a
complete rubber bumper conversion.  I will send you the link when I get
home.  The car has NOT been lowered and I think it looks fine.
(Although the owner in the article was planning on a future lowering).

Remember, the MGB, MGB-GT and MGC underwent subtle suspension changes,
wheel combinations and ride height adjustments throughout their
production lifetimes.  Personally, I don't think an inch or so makes
that much of a difference in the appearance of the car.

Good luck with the rebuild!
Donny V
78 MGB

>>> Aaron Whiteman aaronw@wsu.edu> 6/24/2004 12:46:47 AM >>

...since this is a '75, it sits a little tall.  Will the car look
absurd with chrome without dropping it to pre-75 heights?  The
before-and-after images in British Motoring is at such an angle as to
make it hard to tell (which I guess is a good sign).  I eventually do
plan on acquiring an earlier front suspension to drop the ride height,

but would like to wait until after I pay off the near-term work.

With all this work, I really ought to just sell this car and buy an
actual '68 or so B.  Everything would be done then... However, this is

my first and only car; some insanity is allowed, right?

--
Aaron Whiteman -- http://www.wsu.edu/~aaronpw/MG/
  '75 B (red for now), HIF4 carbs