The Prince of Darkness pays a visit, kinda long

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: The Prince of Darkness pays a visit, kinda long
From: "Steve Gorr" <sgorr2@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2004 20:12:50 -0500
Just when the Carmine '78 B was running the best it ever has (in my time of
possession), along comes the oddest short I've ever seen. This is the B that
had the melted pink/white ballast wire a while back. Well I cut that out and
converted to a 12v coil. It starts well and I had been getting the best
mileage ever at 24.5 mpg in urban/suburban rush hour.
 I was leaving my garage the other night, lights on, went back in to get the
Door closer and killed the engine. As I went to re-start it, lights still on,
the starter doesn't spin but the lights go real dim and the battery acts like
it is drained. Then I see the brake & ignition lights are on even with the key
off! Heck even with the key out! I tried to hook up my 10amp charger, but when
I did the charger needle went off the scale and started a fearsome hum.
Disconnected the battery and then charged it. So now I can start and run when
I connect the battery, but the 2 aforementioned warning lights will stay on
until the battery is disconnected.
Today I opened up the steering column to check the ignition switch. The brown
and a white wires show signs of overload just past the molded plug junction on
the harness side. What is the procedure for checking the switch out? Moss has
them at a hefty $159 and I don't want to waste it if the real problem is
farther down in the harness.
Sorry for the wordiness.

Steve Gorr
'78 B Carmine