RE: Garage Find Bleeding Question

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Garage Find Bleeding Question
From: "James Nazarian" <jhn3@uakron.edu>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 15:21:17 -0400
When I start filling a new system I have found that one good method to get
the system started is to hook the mityvac up backwards so that it pumps
fluid and push it from each wheel back to the MC.  This won't purge all of
the air out of the slaves and calipers so there will still be a little
conventional bleeding required but I have had very good success with this
method.

Also, since I frequently work alone I have replaced all of the bleed screws
with ones with check valves in them.  Summit racing sells them, I think they
are made by russell, but they are also available as an off the shelf part
from NAPA.  They have a spring loaded ball in them that holds the fitting
closed when there is no pressure but pops open when you press on the pedal.

When I push the fluid from the wheels to the MC I use the standard bleed
screws and then change to the self locking ones, which I then leave
installed on the car.  They also have rubber molded onto the threads of the
screws so that there is no leakage past the threads during bleeding.  I
think that they are about $6 a pair and NAPA stocked the screws for both the
calipers and the rear slaves.  They also have them for the clutch slave as
well, but still sold as a pair.

James Nazarian
71 MGBGT V8
71 MGB Tourer