Re: Garage Find Bleeding Question - That Was Easy

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Garage Find Bleeding Question - That Was Easy
From: "Constr AB News" <canews@telus.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 15:02:24 -0600
Hello All

Thanks for all of your responses to the bleeding issue, didn't know there were
so many different ways to skin the same cat.

Anyway, I started using Rocky's long tube to the MC method, and that was
working, until my neighbour (a heavy duty mechanic) came over and asked not so
politely "What The HE#@ are you doing?" I guess he's not a big fan of that
method, and Rocky did warn me, it should only be done once the old fluid is
out of the system. I explained that there was no old fluid, but he still
insisted I use the more conventional method, and since he was the one willing
to get under the car and just let me pump the pedal, I relented.

Everything bled fine! The clutch slave included, however, it still needs to be
rebuilt as pressure started to fade a little after awhile. But all the brake
cylinders held and bled fine. As it stands I have brakes, tomorrow who knows.
I am going to re-bleed Friday and see how they are.

But, the bottom line is......after getting this car (again, that has been
sitting for thirty years) on Saturday night, taking Sunday off to play with
the kids at the lake (it was too hot to work on a car anyway), working Monday
night, Tuesday night and some of Wednesday night.......I drove my 58 Garage
Find MGA to my classic sports car club meeting last night!!!!

It ran like crap - thank you very much, but it ran!!! I still have some small
problems to sort out, chief among them is a problem with a sticking choke
cable (hence the ran like crap comment). But it shouldn't take much to get
this thing really road worthy again.

One more comment - never take a Jewel in the Rough garage find, that you are
so incredibly proud of finding and getting running after only four nights work
- to a meeting of true car enthusiasts. They ripped this car apart, pointing
out every little, picky, petty and trivial variance from perfect out to me.
Even after I told them how little I paid, most seemed less than impressed (I
think they were all Triumph owners or else just jealous - yeah that's it they
were jealous).

Anyway - thanks again all for all your help and comments. I love this list.

Cheers
Grant Bush
50 TD
58 A (almost there)