RE: Oil for Overdrive Transmission

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Oil for Overdrive Transmission
From: "James Nazarian" <jhn3@uakron.edu>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 23:01:41 -0400
 I don't in any way claim to be an expert in oil, but it is my understanding
that there is still a significantly higher sulfer content in eastern oil.
For this reason eastern oil turns acidic faster as it ages, and becomes more
acidic than western oil.  I know a few very well respected classic car
builders that won't use eastern oil in cars that don't see regular service
because of this.  I would not be surprised if the "dirtier" eastern oils
have some differences during their service lives as well.  Again, I have
been told, that there is legislation going on right now to force the eastern
oils to become cleaner, but that is the extent of what I know.

Like I said, this is all second hand, and may be old mechanics' tales but I
don't know.

James Nazarian
71 MGBGT V8
71 MGB Tourer