Re: the mysterious leaking coolant

To: "David Councill" <dcouncil@imt.net>
Subject: Re: the mysterious leaking coolant
From: "Dave Wood" <dwood143@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 12:01:23 -0700
David,

72 B's came with 7 lb radiator caps.

Dave 72 B

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Councill" <dcouncil@imt.net>
To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Sent: Tuesday, July 27, 2004 10:18 AM
Subject: the mysterious leaking coolant

My 72B, in the 90 degree heat, is losing coolant. I did have a small seep
in one of the core plugs which I sealed off a week ago. But there is still
some leakage somewhere. Looking under the car using a light, I can usually
see a drop of green fluid hanging from the bottom of the bell housing. Now
that in itself is no big deal except that despite never seeing coolant make
it to the ground since the discovery of this problem, I have gone through
almost a gallon of coolant in less than two weeks, mostly city driving in
mid 90s. The car has never overheated although it has ran a bit hotter than
normal when it gets maybe 1/3 gallon low in coolant (50/50 water & AF).

So one area I suspect is the radiator cap. A cheap thing to check perhaps
and I suspect I can find a new one locally for a few dollars. Aren't they
somewhat universal? But what pressure rating? Haynes says 7 psi "older
cars" and 15 psi for "newer" but doesn't define what years that refers to.
Moss shows 7-10-13 psi caps with a gradual increase in ratings as the Bs
get newer. And my Bentley manual says 10 psi. Does it really matter much?
Any other suggestions or cap recommendations? Yes I know another problem
may be head gasket but there have been no signs or symptoms that this is
the case even though its a fairly new engine rebuild.

David Councill
67 BGT
72 B