RE: the mysterious leaking coolant

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>, <dcouncil@imt.net>
Subject: RE: the mysterious leaking coolant
From: "DON SCOTT" <rowdon@sonoma-county.org>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 14:44:57 -0700
My Miata exhibited the dreaded "antifreeze smell from the
heater" not long after I bought the car two years ago.  My
'91 BRG Special Edition with low mileage and in very nice
condition turned out to be not so perfect.  Replacing a
heater core on one of these cars is a dreadful prospect-
hours and hours of awful work, or about $1,000 at a shop.
In desperation, I added a container of Barsleak to the
coolant.  First, I researched it on Google, and found very
few complaints and many praises of the product.  Well, it
worked.  Three days later, no smell.  No overheating.  No
problems.  About a year later I installed a new timing belt,
and replaced the coolant, but did not add Barsleak.  That's
been seven months, and it's still fine.

>>> David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net> 7/27/2004 1:26:10 PM

I have considered the possible leak in the heater. And I
did try the fan
this morning to see if I could smell antifreeze and I
didn't. I sure hope
it isn't. In fact, I'd much rather have it be a head gasket
problem rather
than the heater as the fix would be much easier.

But then I could always add some egg whites to my coolant.
It worked for
MacGuyver to plug bullet holes in a jeep radiator. I know -
it was TV  :)

David
67 BGT
72 B