Re: the mysterious leaking coolant

To: Timfboston@aol.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: the mysterious leaking coolant
From: Barrie Robinson <barrie@look.ca>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 13:28:41 -0700
I believe that the sugar in the tank thing is not to stop the engine but to
build carbon deposits in the cylinders thus making the engine more likely
to require a de-coke.   So I assume that sugar would just gradually
decrease the performance of the engine but not necessarily stop it

Now here is a first time myth.   My cousin, a car mechanic, was serving in
Egypt.  While crossing the desert in a Bedford truck (militarised), the
engine acted up and he diagnosed a faulty capacitor in the distributor.  He
told me he took the bulb out of a rear tail light and connected the other
end into he dizzy..  This giving a long piece of closely twinned but
insulated wire which, after all, is the structure of a capacitor.  HE said
it worked.  It seemed to have an element of reason but I have yet to check
the capacitor values of the dizzy cap with the length of twisted wire.

At 10:20 PM 7/27/04, Timfboston@aol.com wrote:
>I was watching the TV show "Mythbusters" on the Discovery channel and they
>experimented with the "sealing the radiator with an egg ala McGyver" and
>they found it to be "Plausible" .   They puntured the radiator and droped
>an egg into it.  It sealed the hole in about a minute.   Pretty cool, but
>may not help your problem.
>
>They also checked out
>sugar in the gas tank - engine kept running (supposed to kill the engine)
>Liquid Drain clog - engine kept running (supposed to explode)
>Bleach - stopped the engine and turned the gas tank into rust overnight
>(supposed to kill the engine)
>moth balls - made their engine run better at higher revs (supposed to be
>an octane boost)
>
>Oh, and the myth of the diver in the lake getting pulled out and dropped
>into a tree by a fire fighting helicopter - not possible.

Barrie Robinson
barrie@look.ca