Re: Clutch failure

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Clutch failure
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 11:22:15 -0700
on 7/28/04 10:12 AM, Tim Holt at holtt@nacse.org wrote:

> Driving to work just now when my clutch suddenly turned into a noodle.
> Luckily I got it into 2nd and was near a parking spot.  No leaks, fluid
> in the reservoir.  Anything to look for in particular?  I'm thinking
> mechanical linkage problem as opposed to fluid problem, or...  Well
> that's why I'm posting here.  Suggestions?

I don't know, I would think the hydraulic system is by far the most likely
suspect, until proven otherwise. It can fail to hold pressure internally
without obvious leaking externally. The first thing you need is an
assistant, to push in the clutch pedal while you observe the slave pushrod
for movement. If you see movement of the pushrod and clutch fork, and are
not getting any disengagement, then you can start thinking about mechanical
problems inside the housing.

You should also remove the cover above the pedals, to see if the clutch
pedal is still connected to the MC (it's conceivable the pin broke or fell
out).

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149