Re: Oil for Overdrive Transmission

To: Larry Daniels <ladaniels@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: Oil for Overdrive Transmission
From: Charles & Peggy Robinson <ccrobins@ktc.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 22:53:55 -0500
   The engine in my B might have lasted a bit longer after I did the
valve job if I'd reamed the ridges out before I put the head back on.
OTOH, maybe not.  When I got the car (69 B) it had been putt-putted
around town for many years, never taken on the road.  I tuned it up,
took it on the road and promptly blew the head gasket.  So after I had
the head trued and a valve job, I drove it for a year or so until it
broke a few rings while on the freeway at 70 mph.  I wasn't really
surprised because I knew it had a lot of wear in the cylinder bores.
BUT, did the rings break because the top rings came into contact with
the ridges because I drove it hard or did they just fatigue and break
because they were cocking and flexing in worn grooves in the pistons?
No way to tell.  The lower compression rings were broken too. The only
original parts in the block now are the rods, crank, and dizzy/oil pump
drive gears.

   I do know that one reamed the ridges out when new rings were to be
installed, so as to prevent ring breakage.  One guy I worked with always
reamed them out unless they were to be rebored.  Probably a good idea if
you run a shop and want to be sure.  I sure can't see where it would do
any harm.  Maybe Lawrie has some thoughts on the matter.

    Cheers,

     CR