Re: Synthetic oil / pressure

To: Danny Varnado <dannyvarnado@cox.net>, MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Synthetic oil / pressure
From: Carl French <leylandauto@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 18:16:19 -0700 (PDT)
What viscosity oil did you use for the breakin period?
I too got less than satisfactory pressure with a trial of synthetic and went
back to dino oil. Curious to hear some thoughts on this. You should be seeing
higher numbers at this point. 30w is the standard break in oil.
Carl French

Danny Varnado <dannyvarnado@cox.net> wrote:
List,
I've recently finished rebuilding and installing an MGB 18V engine with OD
trans, into my '58 MGA. I changed the oil and filter after the first 30
minutes of run time. I changed it again after about 20 miles of driving. For
the 1st 500 miles of break in driving I was running at about 60 lbs. of oil
pressure at speed and about 15 lbs. at idle. At 500 miles, I changed the oil
and filter again and used Mobil 1. My oil pressure has dropped to 48 lbs. and
12 lbs. respectively. I have been told that synthetic oils operates at lower
pressures and that this is no problem.