Re: Question about MGA and changing ground

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Question about MGA and changing ground
From: "G.G. Causey" <ggcausey@net-venture.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 20:04:18 -0800
I have a GM (AC Delco) alternator in my 1967 MGB GT. You want either a 10 SI or
12 SI model (70 to 78 amps), but really, you'd be better off doing the Lucas or
Bosch conversion which are just bolt-on jobs. Fabricating mounts for the AC
Delco is a real PITA. None of the web sites have instructions that are 100%
dead right for every MG, so I wound up trying almost everything at least twice.
Those alternators are really quite large and put a lot of drag on the engine,
so the 3 mounts have to be VERY sturdy. I'm happy with my conversion now, but
if I had to do it over again, I would definitely go with the Bosch conversion.
~Jerry

> I would like to add an alternator to replace the generator. I have
> heard there is a conversion that allows the addition of a General
> Motors alternator with internal voltage regulation. Any idea where to
> obtain the brackets for this application and what alternator to use?
> Also, what wiring changes will be necessary?

Check out the new British Cars Forum: