Starting Puzzler

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Starting Puzzler
From: Editorgary@aol.com
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 17:30:07 EDT
This morning our good friend Jack arrived in good shape in his TD at our
weekly meeting of Krispy Kreme Donut Derelicts, Mountain View (CA) chapter.
When he got ready to go, the car would happily turn over, but would not
cough, much less fire and start up.
So we pushed him to a good speed and the car started up (albeit a little
reluctantly), but then smoothed out and he headed off home.
My question: If he could get the engine to turn over with the starter but not
start, and then we got it to start by pushing and popping the clutch -- which
seems to me to be doing nothing more than making the engine turn over -- why
would it start then?
What's the difference between a starter merrily turning over the engine, and
a group of pushers causing the engine to turn over?
Cheers
Gary

Check out the new British Cars Forum: