Re: Starting Puzzler

To: <Editorgary@aol.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Starting Puzzler
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 09:43:00 +0100
Could have been coincidence (as indicated by the initial reluctance) like
the vanilla ice-cream vs mint-choc-chip non-starting issue someone
entertained us with a while ago.  Normally if there is sufficient power to
crank the engine at what seems a normal speed there will always be enough
for the ignition.  The thing is, what is it doing now?  If it is OK then it
*was* a coincidence.  If it still won't crank start but will push start then
there is a problem in the electrical feed to the coil.  I don't know the
arrangements on a TD but on an MGB with key ignition and cranking I can
imagine a problem in the switch that removes power from the coil while
cranking.  Check for 12v at the coil and connect a timing light to the coil
lead and each plug lead and watch for the flashes.

PaulH.