Re: Starting Puzzler

To: Paul Root <ptroot@iaces.com>
Subject: Re: Starting Puzzler
From: Kevin Smith <ksmith40@centurytel.net>
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2004 09:01:17 -0500
You're probably right about pressing the pedal.  But, the '73 Z had
what's called a "flat top" carb which were notoriously horrible.  Many
folks (including my brother) switched them out for other options.  And
I can't speak for anyone else, but my brother never had starting
problems again.

Regardless, I'm no Lucas lover, but I don't automatically suspect
electrics every time there's a problem.  I still think this guy's TD
was flooded.

Kevin

On Sunday, August 29, 2004, at 07:51  AM, Paul Root wrote:

> SU carbs have no accelerator pump. Pushing the pedal down does nothing
> when the engine isn't running. Other than lower the jet a bit (the
> choke
> doing it's thing), but if you let up, it's going to go back.
>
> The car started sometimes, because it started sometimes, nothing more.
>
> I'll go along with Lew on this, the battery had enough power for
> turning the starter or feeding the ignition, but not both.
>
> Paul.
>
> Kevin Smith wrote:
>
>> My older brother had this same problem with his '73 Datsun 240Z.  His
>> problem was always with the crappy carbs.  You had to pump the pedal
>> about halfway down ONCE, then turn the engine over.  If it didn't
>> fire (often the case), then you either wait 10 minutes and try again
>> or you push start it.  If you rolled it down a good hill and popped
>> the clutch, it would drag and complain, but always start and run.  If
>> he had known how to set those carbs up, I would have done a lot less
>> push-starting!
>> I assume you guys checked that he was getting fuel in proper amounts?
>> Kevin
>
> --
>                                 ______
> Paul T. Root <proot@iaces.com> /    _ \
> 600 Stinson Blvd N.E., Fl 1S  /  /||  \\
> Minneapolis, MN  55413       ||\/ ||  _ |
> PAGER: +1 (877) 693-7155     ||   ||   ||
> WORK: +1 (612) 664-3385             \   ||__//
>                                \______/

Check out the new British Cars Forum: