Re: Rubber hoses to metal hoses

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Rubber hoses to metal hoses
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 2004 11:13:24 -0700
on 9/2/04 10:39 AM, Barrie Robinson at barrie@look.ca wrote:

> My Rover V8 has a 3/4" copper  pipe that goes under the intake manifold
> (Edelbrock).  It is connected to the water pump with a rubber hose that
> fits the route required.  The other end should go to the heater (1/2"
> spigot).  My question is ... Can I get a 3/4" rubber elbowed hose that will
> have a 1/2" end?

Possibly...the question is, where? One would need to know an application to
reference. Might be easier to source a copper 3/4 to 1/2 adapter to go on
the end of the copper pipe. I'm sure you can get a copper elbow.

> Another question ......  Can clamp the rubber hose to the
> pipe which has no bell end?  I notice the heater spigot has a nice bell
> end.   One lister did say his rubber hose blew off the metal pipe but was
> this because the hose had deteriorated or because the clamp was not on
> tight enough?

IMO a bell end is there for the old wire loop-type of clamp, which had a
fixed diameter and amount of clamping force. A stainless steel band clamp
should hold the hose regardless. My B has a similar arrangement.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149

Check out the new British Cars Forum: