Re: Strange place for a cotter pin

To: "mgamgb" <mgamgb@ihug.co.nz>, <DMatt21502@aol.com>, <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Strange place for a cotter pin
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@MGAguru.com>
Date: Sat, 02 Oct 2004 04:14:28 -0500
At 10:17 AM 10/2/04 +1200, Ian F <mgamgb@ihug.co.nz> wrote:
>This pin is meant to be slightly loose in its hole, and wiggle about ....
>
>It really is a BL engineering masterpiece, and I believe that it even has
>a part number.

Kudos to Ian.  Now you made me go and look it up.  For sure that split pin
does have a factory part number (somewhere), as every little bit of
anything ever built into an MG at the factory does.  This part is commonly
shown on a gearbox parts drawing, as is in the Moss catalog, in the Haynes
MGB manual, in the MGA workshop manual, and in the MGA Service Parts
List.  The pin is shown just to the right of the gearbox side cover in all
of these places.

I thought I was going to find the part number in the MGA Service Parts List
book, but alas no item number attached there either.  Sorry, but you will
just have to select a size to suit if you want to replace it.  I guess I
will have to record the exact dimensions for concours.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
http://MGAguru.com

Check out the new British Cars Forum: