B Clutch & gravel

To: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject: B Clutch & gravel
From: Mike Duvall <duvallcom@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2004 09:56:13 -0500
Thanks Paul
> Personally, if someone tells me the clutch has just been replaced, I'd
> be
> thinking there is a still-present problem that has caused it to fail a
> couple of times in quick succession and they are fed up with it and
> dumping
> it.  Alternatively it is genuine and the new clutch or bearing has
> failed
> very prematurely, which is quite possible.

Actually, I'm guessing the clutch is new based on seeing a spotless
transmission and some new gasket sealer.  The clutch worked very well
for 9 months without a problem.

> Clutch spin as I understand it is due to wear and cause the revs to
> rise
> without an increase in roadspeed as the accelerator is pressed, like an
> automatic, and is noticeable in 4th gear first.  Grabbing is often
> caused by
> oil contaminated linings due to a crankshaft rear oil seal failure,
> but in
> this case oil usually drips out of the tell-tale hole at the bottom of
> the
> clutch housing.  Difficulty in selecting gears is due to the clutch
> failing
> to release properly, which if not caused by a hydraulic problem
> causing low
> travel of the slave piston, is again a problem inside the clutch.

I do have a small amount of oil dripping but the car doesn't use enough
oil to be noticeable.

I'm thinking the possibility of a rock being lodged in the clutch
because of the missing boot is becoming a real possibility (or of
course something broken).  As I rethink when the clutch failure as
well, it happened just as I pulled out through some gravel.  Does
anyone have any ideas other than pulling the engine for dislodging a
piece of gravel?  Would working the clutch in and out a lot  wear down
a piece of gravel or would that be futile?  I drove about ten miles
with the clutch acting up already.

Thanks, Mike

Check out the new British Cars Forum: