RE: MGA Rear Splash Panel Seals

To: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>, <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: MGA Rear Splash Panel Seals
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@MGAguru.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 02:10:27 -0600
At 09:32 AM 11/9/04 -0800, Kelvin Dodd wrote:
>The push on seal was used on the later MGBs and the earlier rivet on
>material was superceded to this by the factory.
>
>Since the MGA used similar material, it would make sense that the push on
>material should work ok for that application too.
>
>I have used the push on material on MGBs with good success, but have no
>experience on the MGA.

Thanks, Kelvin.  I suppose (guess, not assume) that the later splash panels
would be the same shape as the early ones, but probably had the rivet holes
omitted.  In that case, the push on seal should fit and work on the earlier
panel as well.

This is the sort of thing I would try on my own car just for the
experience, next time I replace these parts.  But it is likely to be a few
more years (I hope) before I have the thing apart (again) for another
repaint.  So if anyone has an installation picture or any personal notes,
do tell.  Maybe I can con the guy who asked into trying them.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude (and 342,000 miles, currently running on 4th
engine and 5th paint job)
http://MGAguru.com