Re: MGC on the road after 30 yrs.

To: "oliver" <oliverconnect@yahoo.com>, <Mgs@Autox.Team.Net>,
Subject: Re: MGC on the road after 30 yrs.
From: "James Schulte" <schultejim@msn.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2004 07:54:36 -0800
Oliver,
My best guess is the car was last on the road in 1975 because it still has a
Massachusetts inspection sticker on the right side of the windshield, 29,500
miles on the speedo. It was in several fender benders, based on fender
replacements and a re-spray that is currently a Teal Blue but should be a
Mineral Blue based on the boot inside lid color and behind the radio console.
It apparently was owned by a Massachusetts Department of Transportation
employee because of the pens and paper found in the car under the seats. He or
she was a smoker, butts & matches everywhere.  She then went to Maine and sat
in a Museum in a back room until 2002. Museum went belly up and was sold to
Carroll St Auto & Collectables of 68 Carroll St Manchester, NH at auction
(price unknown).  Roland Carroll put a new driver floor, battery box, and
passenger side sill in it and placed it on  the internet for $4500.00. I sold
my 1978 MGB for $6200.00 and purchased it sight unseen in September 2002.
Chuck Christ drove up to Manchester, NH with his trailer and consummated the
deal for me. He then drove to Stowe VT. where my wife and I were showing our
1970B at the British Invasion.  That's where I first saw the car ()-: Since
then I have tried to rebuild or replace all the mechanicals on the car. The
head was set up for no-lead only after the head gasket starting leaking two
years ago.  My son started having seizures the summer of 2003 which
necessitated my resigning from coaching to be near him.  This stopped the
slush fund temporarily and slowed the rebuild, otherwise it would have been
done a year ago.  But, my son obviously is more important (-: He is doing fine
by the way. Anyway, I sprayed the cockpit and engine bay with a base coat
clear coat in Mineral Blue using aerosol and paint supplied from a local auto
paint supply shop.  I have a Moss faring, a new navy blue everflex zippered
windowed soft top, that need installing and a new bonnet that needs painting
etc etc etc. But otherwise, with new leather seats, navy blue carpet, and an
MG Midget banjo steering wheel instead of the original that is way to big, it
looks great! (-:
Jim
69C
70B