Re: Mallala by night

To: MGS <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Mallala by night
From: Eric <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 12:06:10 +1030
To answer some of the questions I have received off list, the following
is the racetrack website.

http://www.mallala.com/

They have messed up some of the links in their menu but if you go to
other pages beyond the home page the links seem to work from there.

The track map is here:
http://www.mallala.com/circutmap.htm

The track is 2.6km long - short yet they have put in most of the
elements you need to have fun. Esses, a straight long enough to wind out
some speed (actually the "straight" is a banana bend) and one fast
corner that can testify to the size of your... courage ... as to whether
you back off, brake or keep the foot planted (yes, in the video I don't
brake but at night I definitely lifted the foot :-)

It is very hard on brakes (all except that one corner mentioned above
would be regarded as hairpin corners) - standard "street" MGB brakes
last about three laps before fading away.

Our little 4 cylinder cars will get to about 100/110mph (give or take a
few depending on how warm your motor is) by the time you hit the brakes
on the back "straight". It takes my/our car so long to "wind up" that
you don't get to top speed by the time you run out of straight.

And as for the temperature - well I would take a cold day over a hot one
anytime.  I have heard that the track temperature exceeded 120F!

--
Eric
'68MGB MkII