Re: Mallala by night

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Mallala by night
From: Rocky Frisco <rock@rocky-frisco.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 22:46:56 -0600
Eric Erickson wrote:

> On 30/11/2004, at 6:30 AM, Rocky Frisco wrote:
>
>> Eric wrote:
>>
>> I watched and enjoyed the video. I have a question: I can't hear any
>> tyre squeal on the soundtrack. When I raced in the 60's the sound of
>> the tyres squealing was a very loud constant, both in the Mini and the
>> MGA. If the tyres weren't really making some serious sound, I wasn't
>> going fast enough. Were you holding back, or are the newer tyres more
>> quiet?

> Thanks Rocky,
>
> Good, soft, modern tyres don't squeal :-)

That's what I suspected.

> They may moan and groan and even roar but they rarely squea - my old
> skinny, hard, cheap 175s squealed all the time whether on the btrack or
> not. My Bridgestone Potenzas hang on - until they let go... and when
> they let go they really let go, but still make no great noise that I
> have ever heard unless I am literally sliding sideways down the tarmac -
> and then that is quite noisy :-)

I hated it when that happened.   ;)

Seriously, I always have preferred for the car to let me know when
it's near the edge, and that has usually been when the tyres start to
sing really loudly.

> (yes, again, pardon the wind noise <sigh>):
> http://www.erickson.on.net/mgb/movies/mallala071104/oops1.MOV

I have downloaded them and viewed.

I definitely heard some tyre sounds there!      :)

> Try this one for overly ambitious braking... she locks the fronts and
> ploughs just before I bail out (a little bit of dirty stuff there but
> not sand - and the slip makes a noise like it is slipping briefly on sand).
>
> http://www.erickson.on.net/mgb/movies/mallala271104/mal271104off1.mov

Wow! That happened fast!

-Rock    http://www.rocky-frisco.com
--