Re: Mallala by night

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Mallala by night
From: Rocky Frisco <rock@rocky-frisco.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 14:00:57 -0600
Eric wrote:

> To answer some of the questions I have received off list, the following
> is the racetrack website.
>
> http://www.mallala.com/
>
> They have messed up some of the links in their menu but if you go to
> other pages beyond the home page the links seem to work from there.
>
> The track map is here:
> http://www.mallala.com/circutmap.htm
>
> The track is 2.6km long - short yet they have put in most of the
> elements you need to have fun. Esses, a straight long enough to wind out
> some speed (actually the "straight" is a banana bend) and one fast
> corner that can testify to the size of your... courage ... as to whether
> you back off, brake or keep the foot planted (yes, in the video I don't
> brake but at night I definitely lifted the foot :-)
>
> It is very hard on brakes (all except that one corner mentioned above
> would be regarded as hairpin corners) - standard "street" MGB brakes
> last about three laps before fading away.
>
> Our little 4 cylinder cars will get to about 100/110mph (give or take a
> few depending on how warm your motor is) by the time you hit the brakes
> on the back "straight". It takes my/our car so long to "wind up" that
> you don't get to top speed by the time you run out of straight.
>
> And as for the temperature - well I would take a cold day over a hot one
> anytime.  I have heard that the track temperature exceeded 120F!

I watched and enjoyed the video. I have a question: I can't hear any
tyre squeal on the soundtrack. When I raced in the 60's the sound of
the tyres squealing was a very loud constant, both in the Mini and the
MGA. If the tyres weren't really making some serious sound, I wasn't
going fast enough. Were you holding back, or are the newer tyres more
quiet?

-Rock    http://www.rocky-frisco.com
--
Rocky Frisco's LIBERTY website: http://www.liberty-in-our-time.com/