Re: emergency brake

To: Paul Hunt <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>,
Subject: Re: emergency brake
From: Hans Duinhoven <h.duinhoven@planet.nl>
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2004 17:26:54 +0100
Even "modern" cars are equipped with poor parking brakes:
The Mercedes E-Series which ended being manufactuered in 1995 had a parking
brake with very little effect. I've driven some 7 cars of these manufactured
from early 1990 thru 1995 and all were not effective at all.
We were urged to leave the car parked in the gear (all were manual shift).
Cars were owned by a taxi company, where I sometimes did some extra work.
Most Merc's of these types lasted very long. One of these still had its 1st
engine after 650,000 KM's = 406,000 miles! Diesel of course and terribly
laizy!
Only things to replace / overhaul after half this distance were the
gearboxes, differential gearbox and clutch.

The later & current E-series and S-series were better, but most of these
were equipped with automatic gear change, so most times no parking brake was
needed to apply anyway.

Have all a nice year change!

Cheers,

Hans