Re: MGB in the snow

Subject: Re: MGB in the snow
From: Aaron Whiteman <awhitema@panix.com>
Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2005 13:33:17 -0800
On Jan 8, 2005, at 11:07 AM, Phil Bates wrote:

>  I got around ok in the MGB, but you find out really quickly just how
> poorly it does in this stuff.  Anyone else using an MG for winter
> driving??

I finally picked up a 4WD Suzuki this year for traveling to the
mountains.

I did this for two reasons:
  In the winter, the MG could hold a passenger, or it could hold my
skis.  It could not hold both.
  In the summer, I want to take myself, a passenger, and 2 mountain
bikes to places that my (lowered) MG has no business navigating.

The MG handles better in the snow than the Suzuki, and I have more
confidence in my driving at the same time.  In four years, the B
slipped once while coming down the mountain road from Schweitzer
(Sandpoint ID).  I was driving a little too fast and locked the brakes
on a hairpin corner--no damage.  The Suzuki spent 15 days in a body
shop after it met a guard rail.  In the B, I would never have
considered conditions remotely dangerous (it was only a *little* icy,
nothing to worry about...).

In the midwest, where they use rust-enhancers to keep the roads clear,
I would never abuse my B by driving it.  In the inland northwest, slap
some high-quality winter tires on and go (I use Michelin Arctic Alpine
studless tires, but they appear to have been replaced with the X-Ice).

--
Aaron Whiteman -- http://www.panix.com/~awhitema/MG/snow/
  '75 B HIF4 carbs, sadly missing winter while waiting for paint

[demime 0.99d.1 removed an attachment of type application/pkcs7-signature which
had a name of smime.p7s]