Re: Speedo Head Right Angle Drive

To: "James Harwood" <james.harwood@sbcglobal.net>,
Subject: Re: Speedo Head Right Angle Drive
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2005 16:09:33 -0000
ON RHD cars at least the hole is *on top* of the starter bulge/clutch foot
rest so the cable is travelling downwards as it passes through the hole,
hence it is not visible looking in the engine compartment from above if
there is no cable in it.  Pics of a speedo cable in this hole at
http://www.mgb-stuff.org.uk/images/speedo002b.jpg and
http://www.mgb-stuff.org.uk/images/speedo003b.jpg.

It is my belief that LHD cables came up through the same hole, then passed
across the car behind the dash.  This left the end of the cable at a
right-angle to the socket on the back of the speedo, hence the 2nd
right-angle drive on LHD cars, the only alternative being a tight bend.
Various holes on the LH side of the firewall facing forwards for choke and
water valve cable and washer pipes on various models, unused on others, see
Clausager.

PaulH
http://www.mgb-stuff.org.uk