Re: Tie Rod Ball Joint Puller Group Purchase

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Tie Rod Ball Joint Puller Group Purchase
From: Thomas Pokrefke <pokrefke1@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 06 Feb 2005 10:30:42 -0600
Don Malling wrote:
> The list is now at 32. I'm going to end this "insanity" at 9:00pm ET
> today (Sunday). The list will be closed at that time. :-)

I owned that exact tie rod puller.  I got it from JC Whitney for free
when I ordered my MGB soft top.  The good news is that you are getting
them at a low price.  They are inexpensive (and for a good reason!) and
will strip the threads out of the body on the first difficult tie rod
you encounter.  BTDT.

If you need a serious tie rod end puller, this puller is worth the price
of admission:
http://tinyurl.com/528y5  (short url)

http://www.partsamerica.com/PartDetails.asp?SourceArea=&SourcePage=SEARCHRESULTS&MfrCode=APO&MfrPartNumber=T75517&CategoryCode=3492
(actual url)

I have actually used both.  The 'you get what you pay for' maxim applies
to tools.  Not to rain on anyone's parade, but I didn't want anyone
thinking they were going to be saving the world with a $10 tie rod puller.

FWIW, my my free tie rod puller stripped the threads, I drilled out the
body and retapped it for a 1/2", fine thread bolt.

Thomas Pokrefke