RE: Tie Rod Ball Joint Puller Group Purchase

To: "Don Malling" <dmallin@attglobal.net>, <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>,
Subject: RE: Tie Rod Ball Joint Puller Group Purchase
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2005 09:46:45 -0800
Don:

It's a great price for a useful tool.  I've been using a similar one for
many years.  2 points.

1.  Because the casting is not hardened, the jaws are pretty chunky and
do not slip under the boot of the small British tie rod ends.  On mine I
ground the jaws down so they will slip between the boot and pin without
damaging the boot.  When this is done, the thinner edges of the jaws do
tend to bend and need to be straightened once in a while.

2.  I only use this tool to pre-load the ball joint.  I would not
recommend trying to pop a ball joint by tightening the bolt.  I'm
guessing this is how Thomas stripped the threads on the tool he was
using.  The amount of pressure necessary to break a ball joint free can
be tremendous, and none of these tool designs can produce a whole lot of
pressure without risk of failure or slippage.

Use the tool to pre-load the ball joint by tightening the bolt as tight
as comfortable with a 3/8 ratchet.  Then whack the side of the
suspension component with a lead or brass hammer.  With a preload in
place to propel the taper out of the seat, a much lighter blow is needed
to just break the bond, as compared to the heavier blow needed to break
the bond and distort the metal enough to propel the taper out of the
seat.

Kelvin

Who hated doing tie rod ends, till he got one of these tools.

Behalf