Re: NO LBC: Virus stopper

To: "TJ Tryon, Jr." <tjt@insightbb.com>
Subject: Re: NO LBC: Virus stopper
From: "Paul T. Root" <ptroot@iaces.com>
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2005 15:31:55 -0600
TJ Tryon, Jr. wrote:
> I also forgot to mention, if you have a cable or DSL or other high speed
> internet, spend the $50 to get a Linksys DSL/Cable Router.  If I did not
> mention, if you have a cable or DSL or other high speed internet, spend the
> $50 to get a Linksys DSL/Cable Router.  Did I mention it would be a good
> thing that, if you have a cable or DSL or other high speed internet, spend
> the $50 to get a Linksys DSL/Cable Router.

There are many similar boxes. SMC, D-Link, Belkin.

I just got a Belkin for $10 after rebate.

Mostly, this is just NAT (Network Address Translation). You are using a
private address (probably 192.168.1.x or 192.168.2.x) which cannot be
routed over the internet.

> You may say, "But I have Black Ice (or Norton firewall, or one of the
> others)".  That's not the same.  By the time those software programs stop
> something, it is already ON your computer, and those programs are so easy to
> crash and have them let EVERY THING in.  With a $50 Linksys firewall, it'll
> never even get to your computer...

Agreed.

> They are very easy to set up, and it's the best $50 you spent on your
> computer EVER.  You can routinely find them on ebay for $10-$20, but you are
> better off spending the few extra bucks buying a new one that the DPO hasn't
> jacked with....  Without it, you are basically welcoming people to hack into
> your computer, inviting virus and spyware in, as well as opening yourself to
> fraud.  (have you paid for stuff on the internet with your credit card and
> no firewall/router in place?)

You'll still get spyware. That comes in by you going to websites.

> When you put it in place, make sure you change the password on it, and if
> you buy a "Wireless" model, chance the SSID, and create a "WEP" key (even if
> you are not using wireless) to keep people off your router...

WSA is better than WPE. But if you aren't using wireless. Turn it off.