Oil Pressure Sender/hose

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Oil Pressure Sender/hose
From: Matt Trebelhorn <matt.lists@trebelhorn.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 14:57:03 -0500
So, on my '70 B, the oil pressure sender and the oil pressure sender
pipe below are usually covered in a light ooze of oil.

The hose has given up the ghost (gone in short order from ooze to drip
to spray), so I've ordered a new one.

When I put the new one on, is there anything I can do to try and keep
the oil inside?  Make sure the threads are clean, obviously; don't
over-tighten anything.  What sort of threads are they, and is it an
application where teflon pipe tape is appropriate?  Any other hints?

This strikes me as a slightly odd fitting -- a flexible hose between
the engine block and something bolted directly to the engine block --
and I thought about replacing the thing with an aeroquip or other
high-grade type hose... I decided against it for the time being, since
I'm still a little unclear as to why the thing uses a flex hose in the
first place, and I wouldn't want to substitute a part in some way that
would affect the gauge readings.

Anyway, your thoughts on this piece of plumbing are appreciated.

M.