Re: air pump

To: Barrie Robinson <barrie@look.ca>, mgb-v8@autox.team.net,
Subject: Re: air pump
From: David Breneman <david_breneman@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 20:34:49 -0800 (PST)
--- Barrie Robinson <barrie@look.ca> wrote:
> DAvid,
>
> I am not really very familiar with the air pump set up but I assume
> that it just injects air into the exhaust.

That's right.

> Some claim that this extra oxygen burns
> up excess fuel and renders some pollutants harmless - but I wonder!
> The original trick was to dilute the percentage of pollutants NOT
> decrease them.

No, what happens is that the oxygen introduced into the
exhaust stream at the exhaust valves ignites any non-
combusted hydrocarbons (usually there during decelleration
or other light-load conditions) and removes, compared to
the miniscule-incremental advances today, a *tremendous*
amount of pollution from the exhaust.  It's not a matter
of simply diluting it.

> This because of warped govt thinking confused bulk with
> percentage!   But injected air can suck exhaust out of cylinders
> but again  - I wonder.

And that's where the increase in power comes.  It's been
measured as only one or two horsepower in dynamometer tests,
but unlike the vast majority of pollution-control devices,
this one actually produces a win-win situation.  Why give
up one benefit while giving up the other?

> Are there any reliable test results available.

Yes, but I don't have them at hand.  This subject comes
up every few years, and the air pump effect was well
known even when I had my 1968 MGB back in 1977.  Hopefully,
someone here will be able to cite a definitive source.

David Breneman         david_breneman@yahoo.com

http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250