Re: air pump

To: Paul Hunt <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>,
Subject: Re: air pump
From: "Paul M." <rowman22001@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 18:38:13 -0800 (PST)
--- Paul Hunt wrote:
> It's true that there was an era of cars with
> closed-loop timing which
> detected pinking and backed off the timing until it
> stopped, then kept
> slowly advancing it a bit until it detected again
> then rapidly backed of and
> so on.

Yes, one of the last systems that I saw in action at
AutoThority was a BMW system back around 1994 or 1995,
and that Bosch Motronic would monitor knock in each
cylinder independently and adjust timing every
revolution.

As a result, the car was dynamically maximizing fuel
mixture and ignition timing to maximize performance
under pretty much all conditions, all the time.

Kind of hard to make a "performance chip" that will
make any gains in that setup!  That was the beginning
of the end of aftermarket chips, except in
turbocharged cars where you can raise boost.  They
still sell them for modern naturally aspirated cars,
but they don't do anything except maybe make the
throttle response better at part-throttle.

Paul Misencik - 1971 MGB - www.sopwithracing.com

THE CAROLINA TROPHY - 2005
A vintage driving event in the spirit
of the Mille Miglia, Rallye des Alpes,