Re: MGB to MGA rear axle swap

To: "Michael LoSapio" <myklos@stny.rr.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: MGB to MGA rear axle swap
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@MGAguru.com>
Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2005 03:13:30 -0500
At 06:10 PM 4/3/05 -0400, Michael LoSapio wrote:
>I need info on replacing the MGA rear axle pumpkin with an early MGB 3.9.
>I need to know what steps are required. Anyone out there done this swap? ....
>MGA Mk II Roadster

Yup, done this.  See here for the photo tour and notes:
http://chicagolandmgclub.com/photos/a_diff

The basic R&R is easy when swapping in a complete differential
assembly.  Just pull the halfshafts first, then pull the differential out
the front.  The one trick is to use the differential sun gears that match
the splines on the half shafts.  MGA 1500 have 10 splines.  MGA 1600 (
starting chassis 68851 May 1959) have 26 splines.  MGA 1600 (starting
chassis 82749ww 82893dw December 1959 and later) have 25 splines.  MGB all
have 25 splines.  Assuming you are starting with original setup in your
MK-II, you shold not need to change the sun gears, as the MK-II and the MGB
use the same splines.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
http://MGAguru.com