Re: MGB to MGA rear axle swap

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MGB to MGA rear axle swap
From: "CHRIS KOTTING" <ckotting@wideopenwest.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2005 13:21:43 -0600
Mike -

If you're swapping the pumpkin from a "Banjo axle" MGB, here's the process we
used on my wife's Magnette (Simplified, but reasonably accurate):

1) Drain Diff.
2) Remove halfshafts
3) Remove driveshaft
4) Unbolt pumpkin from housing
5) With the pumpkins sitting side by side, do (a) - (c) on each:
5a) Using a suitable drift, remove the locking pin for the pinion axle.
5b) Remove the pinion axle and pinions.
5c) Swap the differential gears (the splines for the halfshafts differ)
6) Assembly is the reverse of disassembly.

While you're in there replace the differential gear and differential pinion
thrust washers.

If I recall correctly, the MGA and the Magnette use the same rear axle.

Chris K.

On Mon, 4 Apr 2005 10:44:21 -0600, owner-mgs-digest wrote